Here are a variety of scattered thoughts which I refuse to organize:
I'm better at conducting since I haven't had a conducting class in a while...weird.
I'm really glad I learned how to play a lot of the instruments back in high school when I actually had some time to practice them.
I am not a morning person....getting up at 5am everyday is KILLING me...even when I go to bed at 9pm. >.<
Even if you think you CAN'T learn how to teach very small children, you can. Those heart-breakingly adorable five-year-olds will find a way to chip at your diamond-hard exterior....oh and the six-year-olds too.
Learn kids names as fast as you can. It makes class go much smoother when you can call out the name of the misbehaving child, give them the "mom look" and move on. (or in other words, I still don't know very many names....)
If a kid just isn't understanding something, get clever and get silly. It will help them to quickly learn the skill, and remember it!
Talk to your cooperating teachers a lot. Write down what they say.
Expect and demand high-quality work from your students. It will surprise you what they are really capable of when you expect it.
Understand your students. If they misbehave, figure out WHY, don't just punish, punish, punish. Kids have stress in their lives too, and they aren't as experienced at handling it.
Band peeps: if you teach a single day of your life in an elementary school, you're gunna sing in front of a room full of people. Get over it.
Ipods are really useful.
It's a very precious experience to see each elementary class start with a prayer, but I especially love when the kindergarteners pray. The are perfectly blunt, honest, and sincere.
LOVE IT!!!! :D
ReplyDelete